Adelaide Helicopter Experience
The experience is for everyone!
Description: Enjoy the SA341 Gazelle helicopter as you take in the stunning southern coastlines.
Flight time: 15, 20 or 30 minutes depending on the package . Minimum 2 people/ Maximum 4
Experience includes: A safety brief, introduction and overview of the aircraft . Coastal Reconnaissance flight included and video of the experience(optional)
Time Taken: Allow 1.5 hours
- Crew: 1 or 2
- Capacity: up to 3 or 4 passengers
- Length: 11.97 m (39 ft 3 in) including rotor
- Height: 3.15 m (10 ft 4 in) overall ; 2.72 m (8 ft 11 in) to top of rotor hub
- Empty weight: 917 kg (2,022 lb)
- Max takeoff weight: 1,800 kg (3,968 lb)
- Fuel capacity: 735 l (194 US gal; 162 imp gal)
- Oil :13 l (3.4 US gal; 2.9 imp gal) for engine :3.5 l (0.92 US gal; 0.77 imp gal) for gearbox
- Powerplant: 1 × Turbomeca Astazou IIIA turboshaft, 440 kW (590 hp)
- Main rotor diameter: 10.5 m (34 ft 5 in)
- Main rotor area: 86.5 m2 (931 sq ft) NACA 0012 section
- Maximum speed: 310 km/h (190 mph, 170 kn) at sea level
- Cruise speed: 264 km/h (164 mph, 143 kn) max cruise at sea level
- economical cruise speed: 233 km/h (145 mph; 126 kn)
- Range: 361 km (224 mi, 195 nmi) at sea level with maximum fuel
- Range with pilot and 500 kg (1,100 lb): 233 km (145 mi; 126 nmi)
- Service ceiling: 5,000 m (16,000 ft)
- Hover ceiling IGE: 2,850 m (9,350 ft)
- Hover ceiling OGE: 2,000 m (6,600 ft)
- Rate of climb: 9 m/s (1,800 ft/min) max at sea level
- Disk loading: 19.5 kg/m2 (4.0 lb/
- Guns: 2x forward-firing 7.62 mm (0.300 in) machine-guns (optional)
- Rockets: Matra or Brandt 2.75 in (70 mm) or 68 mm (2.7 in) rocket pods (optional)
- Missiles: 4x AS.11 or 2x AS.12 wire-guided missiles ; 4x or 6x Euromissile HOT (optional)
- UHF, VHF, and HF radios ; navigation equipment such as VOR and TACAN ; Standard blind flying instruments
Notable appearances in media
An Aérospatiale SA341G Gazelle played a role in the 1982 telemovie Deadly Encounter starring Larry Hagman.
A heavily modified Gazelle was the centerpiece of the 1983 John Badham action film Blue Thunder. The same helicopter appeared in the short-lived 1984 TV series by the same name starring James Farentino. The modified Gazelle went on to be used in the TV mini-series Amerika.
A modified Gazelle was used as a light attack helicopter in the 1988 Sylvester Stallone film, Rambo III. The helicopter was shot down by the main character, using a bow and arrow.